Friday, October 01, 2004

Day 23

A conversation, heard tonight.

Customer 1: I would shop more often at Wal-Mart, but we just don't have one near Brook Meadows.

Customer 2: That's why it's ben so great since this one came in. I don't have to drive all the way to Cedar Springs.

Customer 1: You know, Joe doesn't like it when I shop at Wal-Mart, because they don't unionize their workers. But I still shop at one whenever I can.

Customer 2: I know, it's just too hard to pass up.

Sam Walton was very much opposed to unions, as we've already discussed. But I think it's sad that people who are pro-union turn a blind eye when the shop at anti-union establishments. it's on ething if you don't care for unions, and want to support Wal-mart because they don't either. But it's another thing when you support unions, but lend your business to places that oppose what you believe.

Americans, either implicitly or explicitely, support Wal-Mart, and everything Wal-Mart is, by shopping there. If you've chosen not to shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club, I can honor that, even if I don't completey agree with you. But if you support Wal-Mart by shopping there, whether it's because you can buy grocieries and socks at the same place, or because it's open at 1:30am on a Saturday morning, it's hypocritical to pretend that you have something against Wal-Mart.

Let me repeat that just to make it clear: If you shop at Wal-Mart, you have no basis for criticizing said institution.

Unless, of course, you work there. Which makes you not only part of the problem, but also part of the solution.

If I can stand it that long.

Today's Sales: I honestly can't remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home