Friday, May 27, 2005

Last Day (270 if you're still counting)

Today was my last night at Wal-Mart. I really didn't say goodbye to too many people. I told Rebecca I would see her sometime soon. Everyone else I basically just bye to like any ohter night. I didn't want to make a big deal of it at all. That's the way I usually am with these sorts of things.

I feel little but sad, because I will miss these people, if not this job. Maybe I dont have a crush on CSm Tiffany or Katie in electronics anymore, and maybe I never really did. And maybe I will miss Rebecca having her baby. And maybe I will miss Dean have trouble hearing customers. And maybe I will miss Dan trying to be funny and failing. And maybe I will miss Veronica's mischievious smile. And maybe I will miss Brian making fun of literally everyone. And maybe I will miss Margie and her kind words. And maybe I will miss never getting to know Anna better. But it's time to move on.

I'm not sure I accomplished what I set out to do when I started this blog. And I'm not sure I really even care anymore. All I know is that I made some new friends, and wouldn't trade that for the world. Yeah, Wal-Mart is a botch to work for. But these people I work with need jobs and incomes and discounts so that they can support families and pay rent and buy "designer" clothes.

So next time you have a problem with Wal-Mart, don't take it out on the people with the blue, green or red vests. Just ask for a member of management and tear their head off. Or better yet, write a letter to Lee Scott and tell him how dissapointed you are wth they way his compnay treats the heart and soul of its labor force -- those schulbs, like me, who wear those God-awful vests five times a week, for $7.15 an hour, who do their best not to cry every time they clock in.

Or something like that.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Mrs. Brian Johnson said...

I just read your entire blog in one sitting, and really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope that you have moved on to more satisfying and lucrative employment. Best wishes to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home