Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Day 89

My fellow cashier Mike asked me if I had read this little Rick Warren booklet we have at some the registers. I tried not to puke, but told him I hadn't. He wanted me to read the first paragraph, so I did. I though he was going to say it was awesome. Instead, he just commented, "It's just another Bible."

This isn't a religion blog by any means, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say something. How the heck do we reach the Mike's of the world? He's around 20, works a crappy job, loves video games, and is wary of anything that sounds like the Bible. He isn't looking for the Purpose Driven Life, he just loves playing video games and works so that he can buy more of them. Obviously, this isn't Rick Warren's crowd.

I tried to say something about how Warren's just trying to answer the big questions in life. Who am I? What am I doing here? What's my purpose in life? Mike's response was that he was here to play every video game in existence.

If he's happy, how can I argue with that? Until he experiences some life-shaking event, Jesus really doesn't mean a thing to him, unless he was in a video game.

Note to self: stop pontificating.

1 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am touched by your concern for your fellow cashier. All of us can learn a lesson from you. If we continue to live out our own "purpose-driven" lives before the Mikes of this world surely we can begin to make a difference.

May God Bless You

 

Post a Comment

<< Home